Join us for a virtual event with Jarrett and Jerome Pumphrey, creators of The Old Truck, to celebrate their beautiful new picture book The Old Boat. Jarrett and Jerome will read their new book, show us some art and tell us about their process, and answer questions.
Advance praise for The Old Boat:
- "This heartfelt celebration of resilience in the face of change, with a determined black woman at its center, packs a powerful punch. As the old truck stays with its family, this charming book will stay with readers."
–Kirkus Reviews (starred review)
- "This affectionate, pithy, and eloquent homage to farm life—and, quietly, Black families running farms, a rare sight in picture books—is uncommonly charming and rewards repeat readings."
–Booklist (starred review)
- "A celebration of diligence and grit, the quiet text conjures a cyclical Giving Tree–reminiscent relationship, but with a healthier, deeply loving dynamic."
–Publishers Weekly (starred review)
- "The simple text in this gentle chronicle of years blazes with the power of family, determination, and perseverance."
–School Library Journal (starred review)
- "An instant classic, updating tried and true picture book themes for a diverse modern audience."
–BookPage (starred review)
- "A quietly powerful ode to hard work and perseverance...Place this beauty on a low shelf with easy access. It will likely be in regular circulation among discerning young readers."
–Shelf Awareness (starred review)
- "The Pumphreys allow their retro, earth-toned illustrations room to breathe in an uncluttered, gently paced presentation. The illustrations are infused with cheer and playfulness."
–Horn Book Magazine (starred review)
The creators of The Old Truck set sail with an old boat and an evocative, intricately crafted exploration of home and family.
Off a small island, a boy and his grandmother set sail in their beloved fishing boat. They ride the waves, dreaming, catching fish, and seeing the wonders of the ocean. But soon the boy is sailing the boat himself, venturing further from shore as the waters grow dirty and polluted. When a storm washes him ashore and wrecks the old boat, he sees home in a new light. He decides to turn the tides of his fortune, cleaning the island’s waters and creating a new life with a family to call his own. With an eye-catching design and masterfully detailed illustrations, The Old Boat is an exquisite story about caring for the places we call home.
A young girl turns her imagination into action in this beautifully crafted and intricately designed debut picture book.
When is an old truck something more? On a small, bustling farm, a resilient and steadfast pickup works tirelessly alongside the family that lives there, and becomes a part of the dreams and ambitions of the family’s young daughter.
After long days and years of hard work leave the old truck rusting in the weeds, it’s time for the girl to roll up her sleeves. Soon she is running her own busy farm, and in the midst of all the repairing and restoring, it may be time to bring her faithful childhood companion back to life.
With an eye-catching retro design and cleverly nuanced illustrations, The Old Truck celebrates the rewards of determination and the value of imagination.